MORE THAN JUST MUSCLE MEAT
In the wild, your dog’s relatives eat not only muscle meat that we humans are used to consuming, but they devour small bones, internal organs, and any and all available muscle meat.
By doing so they get a complete nutritionally dense meal that contains important trace minerals, vitamins, fats, calcium, and other important nutrients. If you want to feed your beloved canine companion a raw food diet, it must be more complex than just vegetables and some chicken thighs or beef cuts. You want to include hearty organ meats, raw bones, and various other meat-based products.
WHAT ABOUT ANTIOXIDANTS, PROBIOTICS AND ENZYMES?
For optimal digestion, it may be beneficial to add some dog-safe vegetable, raw fruits, antioxidant-rich foods, and probiotics. These would normally be found in the digestive system of prey animals eaten by carnivores and will improve digestibility and absorbability of nutrients in the meat.
HOW MUCH MEAT SHOULD I PUT IN MY DOG'S DIET VS. OTHER INGREDIENTS?
For dogs, 75% of the meal should be meat-based, including muscle meats, organs, small bones, etc. The other 25% should be vegetables/fruits. You can also add a homemade probiotic/enzyme/mineral blend to ensure they have a balanced gut microbiome.